Thursday 28 February 2013

Poems on the Underground

My form teacher at school had several of these up in her classroom and I was always, in moment of boredom, drawn to gaze idly at them. By the end of the year I knew them all off by heart.

And, in a frenzy of furnishing my new flat, was somehow reminded of them, and asked for Caliban's Speech for my birthday:
Isn't it beautiful? I've hung it above my bed (yes, rather cliched..)

So, I went for a classic, and there are other greats Chaucer, Blake, Burns, Wordsworth. But there are all kinds of poems - those by our poet laureate, Carol Ann Duffy, some by Larkin, by African poet Nii Ayikwei Parkes, not to mention Andrew Salkey's cheeky poem about British weather... Have a browse - there are 125 different poems and posters to look at.

The best thing? They're all just £3, including postage! However, they are an odd shape (think those long, narrow advertisements on the tube - after all, that's what they were made for!) so unless you want to just use them as posters, will probably need proper framing.

E xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment